OTHER RESEARCH CENTERS
The Institute of Jazz Studies
The Institute of Jazz Studies is the world’s foremost jazz archive and research facility. It was founded in 1952 by Marshall Stearns (1908-1966), a pioneer jazz scholar. In 1966, Rutgers was chosen as the collection’s permanent academic home. IJS is part of the Rutgers University Libraries, and in 1994 moved to spacious new quarters on the fourth floor of the John Cotton Dana Library on the Newark Campus. The Institute is used by students from Rutgers (especially those in the new Master’s Program in Jazz History and Research) and other institutions, teachers, scholars, authors, independent researchers, musicians, the media, record companies, libraries and other archives, and arts agencies.
The Institute of Jazz Studies has been designated as A Literary Landmark by the New Jersey Center for the Book in the National Registry of the Library of Congress, October 2013.
The mission of the Institute of Jazz Studies is to collect, preserve, and make accessible the heritage of jazz, an American art form that has been embraced by the world.
For more information, please visit http://newarkwww.rutgers.edu/IJS/index1.html